Saturday, March 13, 2010

Transition...

Its Sunday..beautiful, vibrant Sunday... Sundays have always been special to me. From the days of going to drawing classes to the present sleepy Sundays. Well, not actually sleepy because I plan to do a lot of things...complete the pending study-work, write blogs, watching movies, EPL and the list is never-ending...presently IPL3, today I have KKR v/s RCB....but I end up with one thing..we call it "Lyad"..a feeling indescribable, because you find it hard to describe even when you are in this phase. I belong to the extreme category...my friends say...though I beg to differ!! I basically get bored very easily and need some time to accumulate & assimilate things going around.

Earlier, Sundays used to be very bad for me..."Bad Sundays"...i hated it. My mom used to throw me out of the house every Sunday morning with two of my neighborhood girls to drawing classes. I liked sketching but liked watching "Jungle Book" more. Every week the same old ordeal & when the day of respite came it nailed in me a deep hatred towards sketching...Jungle Book was over!!

I do not recall any noteworthy incidents or accidents that struck me on Sundays in between as I tried to be serious about my future!!! Well, that statement was a joke in itself..hahaha!! I guess my parents were more serious than me!!

Then came the "Fun Sundays". It was in class 9 & 10, I was in a coaching class where sir used to teach Computer Studies on Sundays, rest of the week PCM. Those days I made a lot of friends, it was a mixed bag...people I thought who would b with me in future, people I only interact occasionally, people I meet on social networking sites & my closest buddy. An entire morning & sometimes also the half of afternoon of fun. This was when I first came across an entirely different set of people, people of diverse mindset, diverse cultures, diverse backgrounds, diverse histories...an utterly cosmopolitan community, typically Calcutta. I started exploring Salt Lake. Before joining the coaching I had an impression of Salt Lake nothing short of a labyrinth.

We used to play pranks at each other & also the passers by. Once we scared the hell out of some passers by in lonely dark lane in the evening by acting like anti-socials!! There were occasional fights, quarrels, love at 1st sights, 1st time affairs, wooing girls and all sorts of teenage fantasies. Once "The Hottest Chick" of the class came up to me & said that I was unzipped, the moment I entered the class..I was embarrassed..moments later I found it was not..I was blushing!! Initially I used to think like "what weird ideas they possess"..which I still have a bit I guess, but I've got used to it.

After a long hiatus of hectic & boring Sundays came the "nothing at the same time everything to do Sundays"..the present Sundays. I'm not so sure as to what i'm supposed to write in this part because i'm still accumulating, assimilating & realizing about myself & my surrounding. A friend of mine is confused as to what she is meant for. She is confused, worried about her future..she thinks she won't make a good doctor..she knows her qualities & she also knows that she is not the best in those. Now I'm confused.

Let me share a little story. Once I went to Sunder-bans with an NGO, to give relief to those hit by the Aila. I was conversing with Lily, a Romanian. She is 5'11", near about 100kgs, maybe more than that. Her husband, Peter, a Punjabi Christian by birth. Peter is 5'9"!!! I was talking with Lily about the kind of social work through this NGO. While she was sharing her experiences she asked me if i'm planning to do anything other than my regular medicine stuff.
"I cannot afford coz I'm not meant to do" I said.
She replied "You neva know what you are meant to do"
Lily was broght up in post-USSR Civil War torn Romania, she told me that she was on the other side of this relief program during her childhood.
When I enquired her how come she finds it easy to walk the thin sleepery muddy roads on the banks, I found out that she was a lumberjack back home.
Lily is an Engineering graduate. She was into drugs, a reckless wierdo. She owes her life to this NGO & after such a horrible she believes that "maybe" she's meant to do this..devote her life to the helpless.
Lily is now working full fledged in the NGO, with Peter and she wants her children to carry the legacy forward.

Yes, this also happened on a sudden Sunday last year...I call it an "Idyllic Sunday".

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. loved reading this.. i never knew you write this well..and for the thoughts, oshadharon..!

    ReplyDelete